Regular attendance at school is necessary in order that students receive continuity in their instructional areas. Children must report to school on time.
1. A written excuse from a parent/guardian is required by state law when a student is late or absent. This must list the dates absent and reason(s) for absence. It must accompany the student when he/she returns to school. If the school does not receive an absence note within 3 days, the absence is recorded as unexcused in the school register of attendance. Any unexcused absence is to be recorded as illegal in the Roll Book. This book is a LEGAL Document and is retained in the school indefinitely.
2. Parents/Guardians of students in GRADES K-8 must call the school between 8:00 and 9:00 a.m. when the child is absent (718-847-3904).
3. All communicable diseases, such as chicken pox, mononucleosis, etc. should be reported to the school office immediately. A child absent 5 or more days or having a serious illness may not be readmitted to class without a doctor’s note to return to school.
4. CHRONIC LATENESS will not be tolerated and if continued, the child (in Grades 3-8) will be required to serve detention after school from 3-4 PM. There will be one detention for every 3 days late. Parents will be notified in writing when the detention will be held. Parents of children in Grades K – 2 will receive a communication from the principal if lateness persists. Full cooperation is expected. A child who is constantly late begins the day poorly and causes disruptions to the Office, the teacher, and the other students.
5. The office staff or School Nurse will notify you if your child becomes ill in school. It is extremely important for you to submit a COMPLETED and SIGNED emergency card and continuously update the information.
6. Classes may not be interrupted once they are in session. If a child forgets an important item and you choose to bring it to the office, the child can claim it at the office between classes. Please make sure the item is clearly marked with your child’s name and grade.
7. If your child is ill and is absent from school, homework and books can be provided at the end of the school day. Please call the school office before 9:00 a.m. and materials will be ready by dismissal. Schoolwork and homework are expected to be completed in a reasonable amount of time to be determined by child’s teacher. All students are required to make up all work and tests missed during any absence. Please confer with the teacher.
Our school policy regarding “Take Our Children to Work Day” is as follows:
Students participating in “Take Our Children to Work Day” are to obtain the approval of the administration. In order for a child to be considered for approval to participate in this event, that child must be performing satisfactorily in school and must have a good attendance record. Students who participate are required to submit an agenda of the day’s events on the letterhead of the participating company at least three days prior to the event. Such activities should ensure that the child would be taking part in an educationally enriching experience. Students not meeting these requirements will be marked illegally absent.